“Boy, I sure wish I was just starting my dental career today instead of 25 years ago.” Laser root canals, 3D CAT scans in the dental office, implants, digital radiographs, TekScan/JVA and now we have AvaDent digital dentures from Global Dental Science LLC! WOW!
What are digital dentures? No, we cannot scan the inside of your mouth to make your dentures automagically, yet, but we can do everything else. This is the newest technology to hit the dental field and it will surely catch-on like wildfire. Local dental labs don’t even know it is here, nor do most dentists. We are the first to bring this technology to our patients in SW Florida. It involves making the usual impressions of your mouth and then collecting special records to tell the computer operator how to set up your teeth. Two weeks later you have your brand new digitally made complete upper and lower dentures delivered. In just two visits! And if you want another set just like the first as a spare, they can be made to the exact specifications as the first because they are stored on a computer.
- Fewer appointments. Usually only 2 appointments needed: Impressions/records and delivery.
- Fewer adjustments. Using the computer to set up your teeth in the proper alignment helps to prevent errors brought on by the current wax-up method of manufacturing dentures.
- Better suction. The digital denture is milled out of a solid block of perfectly cured very hard resin which doesn’t distort as it cures like conventional dentures.
- Bite is better. The AvaDent Digital Dentures use a scientifically proven way to record how your teeth should bite together. It finds how far apart your teeth should be, levels out your smile line, places your front teeth in the right spot, and traces out your bite to put your jaw joints into the correct position. It truly takes all the guess work out of making a fantastic set of dentures.
- The cost of the dentures do not go up from using this advanced technology.
- Exact copies can be made at half the cost of a regular set of dentures within 90 days of purchasing the original set (AvaDent policy).
- The first appointment is an hour long. Not necessarily a con because the old way took a lot more time overall.
- Time between the first appointment and delivery is 2 weeks. That is the time it usually takes to get back a partial denture framework or a crown from the lab, too.
- No try-in appointment. This is not actually completely true. Before the dentures are made in the lab in Scottsdale, Arizona, computer pictures of the set-up are e-mailed to the doctor for his approval if changes are needed they can be made at that time. Then upon delivery if something is seriously wrong the doctor can communicate the changes to the lab and a new set can be made with these new changes. Fortunately, this doesn’t happen very often.
- It puts local dental laboratories into financial stress by shifting the work to Arizona.
- Until the first quarter of 2012 only complete upper AND lower denture sets can be made. If you have only the uppers or lowers you will have to wait until then. If you want a complete upper AND lower set made, we are ready now to accommodate.
Learn more about the procedure in PART TWO of this blog on Avadent Digital Dentures.